Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Demanding Greek


I want to be a Greek expert. Not a Greek scholar. Not a Greek know-it-all. But I do want to know Greek well. I want to know it well so that I can know God well and know what He has said well and be able to help others know God and know what He said well so we can together live well.

This semester has been a Greek semester. I was frustrated at first with the amount of work the class demanded, but now I see more clearly the goal. For some reason I get to have the privilege of learning Greek - the language of the New Testament. As my understanding and knowledge of the language increases, I hope that with greater precision I will comprehend those things that are important to God as recorded in His Word. Not everyone gets to learn Greek, nor does everybody need to learn it. But I hope that for some who love God and love His Word, I will be able to help them understand with greater clarity and conviction what the Almighty has said.

I was reminded of this in Greek class today as my professor exhorted us not to waste our Greek education. It got me excited again to be a student of Greek. To not take my studies lightly. I hope the Lord will give me opportunity to grow in my understanding of Him and to help others do the same through the careful use of the Greek language.

No comments: